Graduate non-degree students can take graduate or undergraduate level course work for personal enrichment, professional development, certification, or to familiarize themselves with the rigors of a graduate program before applying. Graduate non-degree students are admitted to the University, not to a specific degree-granting, graduate program. Graduate Non-degree status is also appropriate for students actively pursuing a graduate degree at another college or university, and who wish to earn graduate credit to transfer back to that institution.
For Non-Degree graduate admission, the application deadline can be up to 10 days prior to the start of the term. However, Non-Degree applicants are encouraged to apply well in advance of the deadline to avoid possible delays.
Follow these steps to apply for non-degree admission to UNT Dallas:
Step 1 Complete the application for graduate admissions at www.applytexas.org.
The application fee is $50, non-refundable. The application fee may be paid at the time of online application or it may be paid by check or money order, payable to UNT Dallas and mailed to the address below. Please check the University Application Deadlines.
Additionally, a $25 late registration fee may be assessed if you apply late and register during the Late Registration Period.
Step 2 Request official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.
Contact the registrar’s office at each institution. Most institutions will send transcripts directly to us.
The transcripts must show you have earned a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution and earned the required grade point:
GPA requirement for UNT Dallas consideration:
• a 2.8 GPA or higher on all undergraduate work used to complete a bachelor's degree OR
• a 3.0 GPA on the last 60 undergraduate credit hours (or the whole semester closest to the last 60 hours) OR
• a 3.4 GPA on work for any completed master’s degree.
Students not meeting minimum GPA requirements may be eligible for admission under certain conditions or if they are seeking a second bachelor’s degree.
Application materials should be addressed to:
Office of Graduate Admissions
University of North Texas at Dallas
7300 University Hills Blvd.
Dallas, TX 75241-4600
GRADUATE NONDEGREE RESTRICTIONS AND POLICIES:
- The applicant must meet all of the minimum admission requirements described previously.
- Admission to graduate non-degree status neither guarantees nor implies subsequent admission to a degree program.
- Some classes are restricted to degree-seeking students only. You should contact the graduate program to be sure that the course you wish to take will be available.
- A student who wishes to change from non-degree or certification-only status must have a standardized admissions test on file (if applicable) in the Office of Graduate Admissions at the time application is submitted.
- If a graduate non-degree student applies to a regular graduate degree program and is admitted, a maximum of twelve (12) hours of graduate credit accumulated while in this non-degree classification as a UNT Dallas student may be counted towards the graduate degree. Courses applied toward any graduate degree must fall within the time limit specified for the degree.
- Graduate non-degree students may not receive financial aid or University scholarships. International students MUST pursue a degree program.